Here's how I did it:

   1. Login to admin.google.com with your Google Apps user/pwd for the
   domain
   2. From the Google Apps "Admin Console"
   3. More Controls - Security - Show more - SSL for Custom Domains
   4. You'll then see a form field to enter your App Engine application id
   and press the button below it
   5. If you're lucky enough for this to work correctly... you can then
   setup and upload your SSL cert files