I agree that it's apples and oranges in comparison
I'm also using hetzner for a side project, One fair warning, years ago I
was using serverloft, another german company, and one of the relatively
good ones, servers used to fail (expected once in a while) but the worst
thing was that, they used to hibernate the servers for extremely small
reasons, once a small time lawyer sent a notice to serverloft indicating a
copyrighted image of theirs was on my server and they hibernated the server
costing me 100$'s
I also tested their cloud offering when they first launched it, their
pricing was buggy, they wanted me to pay the excessive costs that arose
from their mistakes and disabled my account when I refused (I had 2-3
servers with them for years before this happened)

Same thing happened on Appengine, one of my old apps accumulated 600$+ or
something, If I'm not mistaken, the payment was enabled but the app was an
unused old M/S version, and appengine just dismissed the charges

Although products are not really comparable, I like the Amazon's minimal
pricing strategy, reducing prices instead of increasing them, good guy
Amazon, offtopic

I think we might see something similar from Appengine soon, things have
been always improving with Appengine with the one exception (the pricing
change, years ago)
Compute Engine seems to be able to access Appengine services, db etc. I
think there might come a point where running a service similar to Appengine
on Compute Engine would be easy and cheaper, at that point we might see a
decrease in prices

I've been using Appengine on a relatively large scale, income > costs
although friction in my service is really high, sometimes low-friction
parts of my service gets a high traffic, although income increases, the
costs stay the same, I have a feeling that simple, low-processing/db apps
might see incomparably low costs compared to incomes

With a new app I've been paying 6-7$ a day for almost no traffic and
although I pay high for low delays, I've been seeing failed requests when I
access the app when It's cold, it's not the initial request that's failing,
but the initial ajax requests, which might be triggering new instances
I've always seen people complain about this issue, now I see why

At large scale things seem to work better, but if the app is not monetized,
running a high traffic app, or aiming high with an app comes with it's
paranoid thoughts.
There is a chance that a built-app might become popular and costs might
drive the owner bankrupt, it's one of my feared worst case scenarios lately

I wonder how much Snapchat or other relatively high traffic services pay,
as Rafael pointed out, since their product is seemingly simple, the costs
might be surprisingly low too