I don't understand why people keep adding DBA or systems engineer costs as
a benefit of appengine.
Most startups don't need those profiles at the beginning. Most engineers
can do that work at design time.
It's not that difficult to setup a fail-safe cluster.

I have done all of those optimizations you are talking and many more, like
the most crazy things: minifying the JAR's with proguard so classpath
scanning is faster and boot time is reduced.
Again, I love appengine and have been using it since day one, but it's
expensive.

It looks like you have a lot of experience on appengine.
Please, be kind share your experiences you hit 1 million users access your
site every day. It will be very insightful.

thanks