On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:14:44 AM UTC+8, barryhunter wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 6:01 PM, Tapir <tapi...@gmail.com <javascript:>>wrote:
>

>> On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 1:48:10 AM UTC+8, barryhunter wrote:
>>>
>>> Apples to Oranges.
>>>
>>> DigitalOcean to Compute Engine would be a fairer comparison. They are
>>> both the same 'type' of product.
>>>

>>> AppEngine isn't a magic 'fit all' solution. Many types of applications
>>> you could very definitly run (much) cheaper elsewhere (particularly ones
>>> that are small enough to fit in a single VPS).
>>>
>>> But there certain types of applications that will be 'cheaper' on
>>> AppEngine (particularly when consider AppEngine is managed hosting).
>>>

>> If the free quota provided by App Engine is not considered, I don't think
>> there are any types will be cheaper in App Engine.
>>

> Imagine if your application was big enough, that it needed say 150 VPS's
> to run.
>
> Some of them running memcache, some running apache, some running
> elasticsearch, some running couchdb, some running haproxy, some running
> logging servers, some running management nodes. Warm redunacy servers.

If my website needs 150 VPS's to run, I would NEVER consider using GAE at
all!
Assume the 150 VPS's are the lowest end Linode VPS, which is more powerful
than GAE B8 instance type.

The cost on GAE $480 * 150 = $72,000 (this is an at-least cost, for
bandwidth and bigtable and many things will charge you extra more)

The cost on Linnode: $20 * 750 =  $15,000 + two IT maintainer cost ($10,000
x 2) = total $45,000. (In fact, one IT maintainer would be ok).

For both cases, app developing cost would be the same, so ignored.

The result is very clear.