On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:04:25 AM UTC+8, barryhunter wrote:

>> The comparison even doesn't count the 15 minutes tax explained by
>> BarryHunter in this thread:
>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/google-appengine/dTIK9dJHdZI
>> and the bandwidth and other cost are included in the $45,000 for Linode
>> VPS case.
>>

> Thats on used counted each time an instance shuts down. If you have one
> instance alive all day, serving 1 request/second all day, you will never
> pay the 'tax' (well rarely)
>
>  Get similar thing on other providers, eg digitalocean appear to charge by
> the hour, so if you only use an instance for 15 minutes, you still pay for
> the full hour.

better than if you only use an instance for one second, you still pay for
15 minutes. :)

> If you have 'bursty' traffic it can be more noticeable, than if you have
> pretty constant traffic (few start/stops)

If GAE instance scheduler does ideally, I would support your opinion.
But in fact, the GAE instance scheduler often try to create unnecessary
instances and is not willing to use the already created idle
resident instances.