On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 2:16 AM, Harald Humml <hhu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I´m a little bit confused about the pricing model for SSL on GAE.
> So my question is: what cost information is right? And: is it correct that
> I also need to an official certificate from verisign (just for an example),
> or can I use my own certificates generated with openssl when I use VIP?

You're looking at outdated information. SNI SSL is free (you just need to
supply the certificates provided by a third party, which may cost money).
If you want a virtual IP (VIP) to go along with SSL, you need to pay
$39/per VIP/month. The major difference between the two is that some older
clients (such as Android 2.x units) don't support SNI and require VIP SSL.

You can use a self-signed cert if you want (
https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/ssl#certificate_requirements),
but it's better to get a certificate from a trusted company such as
Verisign. If price is a factor, there are occasional sales on certificates
that you can wait for.