I've also tested utilizing parent's recently, don't remember the exact
reason

I've found out that you can't get an entity only by id, if it has a parent,
you have to know the parent too, that's why I utilized a different method
to achieve whatever I was after at that time (don't remember)

I also like to simply get entities by their id's - so I almost never give
them parent's

I would suggest not utilizing parent's unless you exactly know what you are
doing

I suspect you are learning ndb, I would suggest reading
https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/python/ndb*/ *fully

AppEngine documentations are really easy to read and pretty fun, it
shouldn't take 3 hours to grasp all concepts related to ndb