My CC renewed in June (same card #, different CVC, updated expiration,
etc.)... I received the following email from Google Billing and all worked
out perfectly (I was actually quite impressed with the level of
integration):

We're updating your bank account details.

Hello from Google,

We'll be updating your Credit or debit card according to instructions from
your bank. here are the changes they requested:

Your bank or credit institution has extended the expiration date on your
account.

You don't need to do anything for these changes to take effect, but if you
have any questions about them, please contact your bank.

If you'd like to review your direct debit details, follow these steps:

   1. Sign in to the Google Developers Console and select the "Billing" tab
   in the left-hand navigation menu..
   2. Then click on "Billing settings".

See you online,
The Google Billing Team