Thank you Daniel for your update!

It's great to hear an official statement from Google about App Engine's
health and future.
I've certainly been enjoying increased reliability and reduced instance
warmup time over the past couple of years, and that's a reflection of the
hard work that's been going on behind the scenes.
At the same time, I would have liked to see some more development on the
Datastore while other projects such as BigQuery appear to be isolated from
it.
I believe that GAE's power is in it simplicity so my hope is that you guys
will carry on with this philosophy of a simpler to use, easier to maintain
solution in App Engine (I bet that's not an easy to achieve goal by any
means, considering all the other services such as Gcloud).or
The other main aspect that's attracted me to GAE, the platform, is that it
comes with "batteries included", all you need to get a web app up and
running is there. By spinning off services such as the Datastore or adding
foreign ones such as Cloudstore and Big Query, one feels that the focus
gets lost.
But hey, I'm looking forward to experimenting with managed VMs, have been
lurking on the Beta mailing list quite regularly.

Regards,
Emanuele