At the very least you should have a one liner notice when someone goes to
setup a new pipeline with deploy source only mentioning that it is
deprecated. We have a project that is still building as 'deploy source
only'... I made a new project and have spent days trying to figure out why
it doesn't deploy. I just happened to come across this thread in my
desperate attempts to figure out what is going on. I agree with Lucas that
"At least pushing source should remain as a feature". Having to do a lot
more to do exactly what we needed doesn't feel like an upgrade though I'm
sure some users will enjoy the extra capability.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/c668fa0a-6c6a-4a82-8a28-e3f1a4f4eb83%40googlegroups.com.