I didn't dive into what exactly you are doing, however I want to teach a
method that reduces the number of indexes, while keeping the added indexes
the same -> precomputing properties

Instead of running a query for a=1, b=2, c=3 - you can query abc=1|2|3
instead by creating a pre-computed property called abc - you can also query
for a=1 by querying abc=1||, or query for a=1 c=2 with abc=1||2

You can adjust the format to suit N properties the way you like

When my indexes get close to the 200 limit, I use this method to reduce the
number of indexes while keeping the complexity/cost the same (so basically
it's just to tackle the 200 limit)

-----

It's also possible to not add exact indexes for each query, and let the
system compute things on query, which is logical for non-frequent queries,
as complete indexing is very costly (also as far as I remember, the upper
limit for indexes of a single entity was something like 5000)
The simplest way to do this is to use --require_indexes and let the sdk
suggest the minimal index, while having a general idea of how
indexing/queries work

-----

I've just read your question better, my information seems a bit unrelated
for the exact question you asked, yet it's very logical to use
--require_indexes and handle the index-logic on development, otherwise you
have to digest each index usage after the development is near-completion
and do it at once, it's better to do it on-usage/development

-----

Just disregard my answer if you were looking for a more-spot-on sdk
feature/answer

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/a7da9b1f-29fa-457e-9d35-2ed90a2a52c4%40googlegroups.com.