Where is the "data" actully stored? Just files in the 'filesystem'?

Might find it worthwhile to use Google Storage instead for the data files
https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/python/googlestorage/

... Particular if can make 'ranged' requests. ie can seek directly and read
part of a file, rather than the whole file.
https://cloud.google.com/storage/docs/reference-headers#range

(I've found the 'filesystem' itself to often be slow in AppEngine)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/CAJCAUu%2BGiSf1KJRLYPXnmj52aZGJr8o_cH-coCU9u5ZFL5%2BVNg%40mail.gmail.com.