>> (I've found the 'filesystem' itself to often be slow in AppEngine)
>>

> But would it really be quicker to transfer the files over the web for the
> Google App to process?

Its not really 'over the web'. In general Google Storage is pretty 'close'
to AppEngine, probably within the same data-center.

> Surely it must be quicker to store the necessary data locally to the app?

Well AppEngine is itself a distributed system. The 'code' is stored on some
sort of storage subsystem. When an instance is started for your
application, the code has to be copied from that system to the local
instance. In general its copied as needed (rather than transferring the up
to 1Gb on instance startup)

Copying over the network from that repository, vs copying from dedicated
Google Storage, is probably not significantly different. Been a while since
I benchmarked it tho.

... anyway was only a suggestion how to get round your "problem".

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/CAJCAUuLhu41qhb1RqnUNtXBSX3-_wwfT%2BF_y_ZO8W4B7P7z6%3DA%40mail.gmail.com.