We've made limited use of POI on GAE, but as you say the classes that use
the java.awt package will not work.  We just need to read/write Excel and
Word documents for which it works fine.

Have you looked at Google Computer Engine?  I imagine you can get the full
POI library to work there (you get a complete virtual machine much like AWS
EC2 or Azure Virtual Machines).

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/444bd4b9-3217-4764-aafe-932df953f3e0%40googlegroups.com.