I'm seeing the same problem on Appengine production (and not with
dev_appserver) and I'm using the same Twitter library. However, I was
seeing some tweets succeeding and some failures. After another user in the
Twitter Dev forum posted, I looked at the content of the tweets. The
failing tweets all contained the "!" character. After removing that
character from tweets, I'm seeing a 100% success rate.

My working theory is that urlfetch is somehow changing how parameters are
escaped and that's causing the HMAC in Twitter's Oauth to be rejected.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/028e643d-7b2c-4cbd-b833-e764814b7cd9%40googlegroups.com.