And just to reiterate - the characters seem to encode correctly (e.g.
apostrophe encodes to %27), and at any rate, when I log the URLs generated
by Tweepy the URLs generated on my dev instance are identical to prod. Yet
it works in dev, not in prod. My guess is something is happening in the
urlfetch code which we can't debug in prod.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/8ab8ab7d-9741-4c79-8191-a75a45d90c77%40googlegroups.com.