>    - The Files API, which has been deprecated since June 2013, will soon
>    be restricted to existing users only in preparation for its future
> removal.
>    Further information about the removal of this API is available here:
>    https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/deprecations/

That's a shame because Cloud Storage is an inferior solution from the GAE
point of view: with Blobstore, we could serve large files without using CPU
instance time. With Cloud Storage that's not possible, unless the file is
public. We have to load each byte into the instance first therefore adding
latency and wasting RAM.
Finally, using the Blobstore API to serve Cloud Storage files is not an
option either. First the generated key is bound to the file name, so it's
not a key.
I feel like Google is discouraging us from using GAE, see also the latest
price reduction that only applies to Compute Engine VMs.
I'll start looking into alternatives, GAE increasily looks like an orphan.

Emanuele
- on GAE since 2011

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/96169256-0e0d-49e6-b8e1-70565cdb2567%40googlegroups.com.