Ok, what is apparent is that the following set of ip addresses are being
blocked in Turkey:

216.239.36.21
216.239.32.21
216.239.38.21
216.239.34.21

Therefore, no naked custom domains with A records and these addresses are
going to work in Turkey

What is the solution: Signing Up to Google Apps and a work account so that
I can redirect via the google admin console or do Google have another set
of ip addresses for app engine projects that are not likely blocked?

Anyone got any alternatives?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/25439cf0-06b7-434c-9ad0-23ff152f5423%40googlegroups.com.