Hi Jeff,

>From what i can see managed VMs behave much like app engine modules that
use backend instance class and manual scaling - which means they stay live
when you deploy a new version, and even after setting default.

I'm still using the "old" app engine console, and when i delete an old
managed VM instance (or even click the stop link) it will shut down.  It
does take longer then for an app engine instance - sometimes 10-15mins, but
i think that has to do with the managed VM health-check timing and shutdown
process (or perhaps i just have mis-implemented my shutdown handlers on my
managed VMs).

I hope that helps.

Christian

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/9d38ef2a-2b47-455c-aea4-23b423c06d42%40googlegroups.com.