> On Apr 11, 2016, at 1:28 AM, 'Jon Parrott' via Google App Engine
> <google-appengine@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Karl, first and foremost: thanks for being the first person to contribute.
>
> Yes, I just missed the makefile when I was cleaning things up. I'll remove
> that and update contributing.md to document how to run tests. In the
> meantime, you can checkout the travis config file. Mostly, you just need to
> install nox-automation and run nox -s tests. Travis ran for your PR and it
> passed <https://travis-ci.org/GoogleCloudPlatform/webapp2/builds/122147953>.
> Enabling the CLA bot is standard procedure, and the OSS lawyer that assisted
> me in moving over this project did not indicate that it should be passed
> over. I am not lawyer, however, from what I understand t the CLA does not
> remove any of your rights as a the author, it just grants the project rights
> to your contribution (this seems to be pretty clearly stated at the beginning
> of the CLA itself). If concerns over the CLA cause you to not want to
> contribute further, I'll be happy to get you in contact our open source
> programs office so that we can potentially address your concerns.

While the CLA does not remove any of my rights, it does grant Google
significantly more rights than those granted by the Apache 2 license. In
projects like the Linux kernel that don’t have a CLA process, everyone is on
equal footing and has the same rights - those granted by the GPL. With a CLA
like this one it becomes a two tier system. The community at large only has the
rights granted by Apache 2 (and ownership of any code that they created), while
Google has effective ownership over all contributed code and a perpetual patent
license. I think that inequality is ultimately harmful to the community.

For projects that you started I would not object. It just seems . . .
aggressive . . . for you guys to take over a project and significantly change
the terms under which contributions are handled. Don’t get me wrong - I
appreciate that you are investing developer resources into webapp2 and taking
on the maintenance role. It’s overall a much better situation. And I signed the
CLA and I’ll contribute if I can despite the CLA.

I’m happy if you want to connect me with the open source programs office.

Karl

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/84FDFBD8-19E5-4594-ADCA-B7C65D12925E%40strajillion.com.