yeah, one less reason to bet on App Engine: it's such a moving target.
We can't afford to rewrite critical parts of the code every few years just
because APIs get deprecated.
Blobstore first, now this.
Mail has been the single most reliable feature for us over the past 5 years.
I understand the problem and costs might be caused by those few spammers
who send millions of e-mails from GAE.
Why don't you kick them out?
Look at what the average user needs, and restrict the quota for cater for
us.
Otherwise, just tell us what App Engine is and we'll figure out what to do
in the future.
You keep telling us GAE's future is solid but then you strip it bits by
bits.
Very frustrating.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/255327ac-939e-485f-8504-574792a52f2f%40googlegroups.com.