Hello,

We are experiencing an issue in the following setup. We have a module that
processes tasks from a push queue. The module is using automatic scaling.
Normally it runs around 8 instances and processes around 200 tasks per
second. Recently I noticed that there are spikes in the App Engine
Dashboard in the Latency graph. (Worths mentioning that the spikes seem to
occur more or less exactly once an hour) So I checked the logs and found
the following pattern:

   1. All of a sudden all the instances start to report the following: "After
   handling this request, the process that handled this request reached the
   maximum number of requests that may be handled in a single process'
   lifetime, and exited normally." I mean one by one all of them will throw
   this message.
   2. Next you see a bunch of the following messages: "This request caused
   a new process to be started for your application, and thus caused your
   application code to be loaded for the first time. This request may thus
   take longer and use more CPU than a typical request for your application.".
   Each request reporting this lasts like a few seconds so it truly "takes
   longer" as the message says.

Ultimately what seems to happen is that all our instances restart at the
same time which means that for a few seconds there are no instances ready
to serve. This generates huge latency spikes that we surely would like to
eliminate if possible. Is there something we could do on this?

Thank you,
Iliya.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/20ffe46d-f443-43ae-b531-70a751b79f31%40googlegroups.com.