Since by your account the module hovers at about 8 instances which all get
proactively restarted at the same time, this suggests that scaling doesn't
happen gradually and that the load on that module is fairly constant.

Keeping a minimum number of idle instances will help with latency spikes
when they occur, however you may be better suited to use manual scaling at
8 instances to avoid the proactive restart issue and use the
setNumInstances()
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/java/javadoc/com/google/appengine/api/modules/ModulesService#setNumInstances-java.lang.String-java.lang.String-long->

method from the Modules Service to manually scale up or down if the load
needs to change.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/e4d8fcae-127e-45a9-91c3-27ea9e291f02%40googlegroups.com.