Nick,

maybe the PIP installer is incomplete or outdated. Current version of App
Engine SDK for Python is 1.9.50 (2017-01-23). The most recent version on
PIP is provided by this
package: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/appengine-sdk/1.9.50.post0

To install from official sources, you have two options: Either via gcloud
by following the instructions here:
https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/python/download

Or, if you prefer App Engine SDK (with the Launcher), click on the link at
the end of the same page to get the download links and instructions for
Linux, Mac, or Windows.

--
HATZIS Edelstahlbearbeitung GmbH
Hojen 2

Handelsregister Kempten (Allgäu): HRB 4204
Geschäftsführer: Paulos Hatzis, Charalampos Hatzis
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE 128791802

http://www.hatzis.de/

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/1bbad040-be8e-4127-ab9b-a089221927c3%40googlegroups.com.