Hey Nick,

I'm glad you were able to get the App Engine SDK for Python up and running.
 While it is possible to install the SDK using *pip*, it is definitely not
recommended.  There are currently 2 supported methods for using the GAE SDK
for Python

   1. Download the Cloud SDK <https://cloud.google.com/sdk/docs/#linux> and
   install the *app-engine-python* component.  This can be done with gcloud
   components install app-engine-python
   2. Install the original App Engine SDK
   <https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/python/download> for Python
   whose link is towards the bottom of the page.

The preferred method is using the Cloud SDK.  You can continue to use pip
but please know that as it is not an officially supported method of
acquiring the SDK, it may fall out of sync with the official releases and
eventually not work as expected.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/0bce360b-2de0-43fd-915b-046befa03c7f%40googlegroups.com.