Guys, check this out:
https://cloudplatform.googleblog.com/2017/03/your-favorite-languages-now-on-Google-App-Engine.html

"If you’re an App Engine developer who loves the unique features
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/the-appengine-environments> of the
standard environment, we’ve got more coming for you too. Over the next few
months, we’ll be rolling out support for Java 8, updated libraries and
improved connectivity with other GCP services. Developers that sign up for
the alpha release of Java 8 on the App Engine standard environment can get
started today
<https://docs.google.com/a/google.com/forms/d/1MDzykTWp77YzRgFs5R6ONOuKWYnKEhfy5VhSJYbDvmo/viewform?edit_requested=true>.

You can expect multiple announcements on both the standard and flexible
environments in App Engine in the coming months."

Cannot believe, cannot wait.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/fee2eccb-fc3a-4da9-ba2a-cbf47bf00500%40googlegroups.com.