Thanks Attila.

We also ended up doing the same, I removed the existing domain and added it
back in again.

One important thing to note is that we need to be doing this from the same
account that is linked to the domain in webmaster tools, that part is also
confusing and not clearly mentioned anywhere.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/efcd9cc5-52d7-48fd-8814-3bc6d7cc2f10%40googlegroups.com.