I need to connect App Engine Std (AES) to GCE via an internal IP address.

   - Would GAE being issuing request and GCE, responses?  The other way
   around?  Both?
   - AES would issue the requests only
   - Are requests and responses tightly coupled like HTTP
   requests/responses or more independent like tasks in task queues reflecting
   asynchronous requests?
   - mostly tightly coupled request wait for response (JDBC connection from
      AES -> GCE)
      - if we neeed async, we could build a service on GCE to take a
      request immeiately and work on it for however long - so not an issue
   - What type of scaling would be employed for the App Engine component?
    Would the Compute Engine instances also be scaled?
   - normal AES scaling as now would be fine - our AES product shards
      amoung server, so no special requirement there
   - What solutions have you tried?  Any of the ones posted above?
      - our current "solution" is using a GCE external IP - this sucks for
      a number of reasons
         - 1) the latency between AES and GCE is too high for fast JDBC
         communication (much, much, much slower than GCE internal ip --> GCE
         internal ip which is very very fast in our testing... the moment the
same
         requet comes for GAE there is a ton of overhead... and JDBC is very
         "chatty" in our application)
         - 2) we really should use SSL between GAE and GCE since going over
         external IP, but this makes the problem even worse
         -

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/3dc37122-55ae-4e63-b39e-3972d751b415%40googlegroups.com.