One of my paid apps has recently hit the ridiculously low email quota of
100.
So looking at the official docs - I followed the recommendation of moving
to Sendgrid.

Guess what ? Each and every email sent through Sendgrid ends up in the spam
folder on ... Gmail.
The explanation to this, as appears in Gmail is that many emails sent
through Sendgrid were previously identified as spam.

So GCP recommends Sendgrid, but Gmail blocks it ??? Where is the logic in
that ?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/97a1fc9f-ef8e-45b5-b8a0-156df2650466%40googlegroups.com.