those error messages are useless, especially when they imply it is a
temporary problem with app engine, when most likely it is a problem with
your certificate.

I have seen this same error message previously if you try to upload a 4096
bit certificate -  App engine can only cope with 2048 max.

I had this same problem last week when I tried to reupload a certicate and
private keys. I used an old file and the private keys  didn't match the
certicate.

App engine gave me that same generic error message, it wasn't untill I
checked the files I was trying to upload on this site, I realized it was a
problem with my ceritficate and not app engine.

https://www.sslshopper.com/certificate-key-matcher.html

some parts of the appengine ecosystem are really half-baked...

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/0e6a3b44-495f-413a-89fa-eb3085badb98%40googlegroups.com.