Hi, Torsten,

Google App Engine was, I suspect, originally adopted by Python and Java
developers in the early days,  it was seen as a very cheap alternative as a
Paas. Based around the no-sql datastore, it offered quite a few advantages
to say the heavy-ish load of say a straight Django based server option. The
whole Paas idea being to relinquish the substantial dev-ops requirements
that often burdened smaller developers. Today it is a different beast, it's
no longer a matter of the Standard environment and Java or Python. You have
the Flex environment, extra lnagues, Go and PHP in the mix as well as
numerous APIs and cloud facilities that can really help speed up
development of any size projects. Developing restful APIs as micro-services
for example, cloud storage, and many cloud based facilities are now part of
the overall development ecosystem.

Today I don't think you should look at google-app-engine development just
in terms of the core code base. It's part of an family of tools that I
personally use most everyday. It still has it's issues, documentation for a
a long while was in need of improvement but it's getting much better all
the time. On the downside, the requirement to get to grips with the various
components Google now offers can be quite time consuming and the original
concept of getting rid of the burden of heavy dev-ops has since been
somewhat retograde by the need to understand, use and monitor all the
activities of a web site via the cloud console and other tools. To be fair
though, this is more to do with the reality of designing web apps which are
no longer small and simple. The web today is a complex beast, which many
people underestimate when it comes to tooling up and development, but
Google is getting much better as it matures and takes away many of the more
painful and cumbersome burdens that modern web app development brings.

I wholeheartedly recommend it.

If you need some advice of any form give me a shout.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/697030d3-8067-4175-b3fc-9bdb3b0f2c19%40googlegroups.com.