> Note that session support is something that is done per-runtime and
> per-framework,

I am asking specifically about Google Application Engine Standard
Environment Java 7; and for Java 8.

but most if not all of them include it as it is indeed a basic feature of a
> web server. Part of the Bookshelf tutorial deals with using sessions
> <https://cloud.google.com/java/getting-started-appengine-standard/authenticate-users>
> .

Thank you. I see that that indeed supports  req.getSession().setAttribute(
...)

How is this data stored so that it is accessible to all Instances? In the
Memcache?

Apparently this uses the Users API
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/java/users/?hl=en>, which
works with Google or OAuth authentication. Does GAE Standard Env use a
Session Store, accessible for all Instances, which is usable with
user-authentication in general? According to this StackOverflow answer
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18860186/>,  it does not.

> On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 3:30:28 AM UTC-4, Joshua Fox wrote:
>>
>> What is the recommended way to do Session Management on Google
>> Application Engine?
>>
>> In the webapp world, the usual implementation with a session store
>> (Redis/Memcache/RDBMS etc) that is shared by all server-instances.
>>
>> So, when the Java code calls
>>
>>  request.getSession().setAttribute("UserName", username);
>>
>>                       that value will be accessible for multiple requests
>> by this browser.
>>
>> A websearch shows some advice:
>>
>>    - Implement it yourself
>>    - Various  open-source libraries, non-standard and mostly
>>    unmaintained
>>
>> I would expect a PaaS like GAE to have  Session Management
>>  out-of-the-box.
>>
>> This StackOverflow answer
>> <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/28689941/how-to-deal-with-sessions-in-google-app-engine>
>>  says "AppEngine
>> uses Datastore to store the session informations and memcache for faster
>> access" and this official documentation
>> <https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/java/config/appref>
>> mentions that
>> "Session data is always written synchronously to memcache."
>>
>> But on the other hand this tutorial
>> <https://cloud.google.com/community/tutorials/express-memcached-session-appengine>
>>  suggests
>> that  session management must be added to GAE.
>>
>> How should we do Session Management?
>>

>> --
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine.
> msgid/google-appengine/764e06ad-4d90-45bd-8bcd-
> e801913976a0%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/764e06ad-4d90-45bd-8bcd-e801913976a0%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

*JOSHUA FOX*
Principal Software Architect | Freightos

*T (Israel): *+972-545691165 | *T (US)*:  +1-3123400953
Smooth shipping.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/CAD%3DB7cO6rGKBRy3wNwUFDJ0c20HArrrnPemcyh6KM56%2BmpgF6g%40mail.gmail.com.