Hello all,

Flexible instances sound great in theory - use runtime you wish as long as
you can create a docker image for it and listen for HTTP on 8080.

However, one of the reasons I prefer AppEngine (standard) is the fact that
I don't want to be Ops - don't want to be concerned about updating the
kernel at 3AM in the morning when the latest exploit comes out. I love that
G just handles that for me with AppEngine standard.

How does this work with flexible? There is a throw-away line in the
documentation about "flex instances will be restarted at least once per
month to apply critical security updates", however I fail to see how this
could work when - from what I can see - the base image can be anything (ie.
RedHat, Ubuntu, Arch or even Linux From Scratch, OpenWRT, etc :-)).

To what extent does Google patch the flexible instances? Do I still need to
recreate the docker image weekly for example to ensure that all the latest
packages are installed? Or rather - do I need to deploy weekly in this
case? (since deploying rebuilds the docker image - which is nice but still
annoying that I need to deploy at least once a week to have my instances be
up to date).

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/474a1dc9-2b30-43a1-9f91-ca1b9ed671ae%40googlegroups.com.