I followed this
tutorial:  https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/flexible/nodejs/quickstart

I really wanted to attempt to deploy a docker-compose configuration to GCP
to see how it would work, but I scaled it back, since it seemed like it was
a very manual process.

So, I went through the tutorial on 11/10/2017.   I revisited it yesterday
for a UX call w/ Google and to my surprise it said I owed $13.06.   Today
it was $16.

I was panicking .   How do I turn off this faucet???

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-J6NgSYl3NsI/Wg9XqP_huGI/AAAAAAABBBk/zzr0wnH-ioEWFkU6c-df5_v5VG5_NeGOwCLcBGAs/s1600/faucet1.png>

I was looking everywhere.   I looked at the billing details -- which didn't
match the dashboard.   It showed app-engine flex core and app-engine flex
memory.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-RcOR9py_Rf0/Wg9dATS1EHI/AAAAAAABBB4/ZfL12ZvbejENmaQMawKXNRxMs-9gKQ7iQCLcBGAs/s1600/faucet2.png>

So I went to the app-engine dashboard and it showed zilch under the
instance overview.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-C_f-gwpY5NI/Wg9dESHmIlI/AAAAAAABBB8/4QpfqWcbMukixNp4L4EDan5DqCuOf_dfACLcBGAs/s1600/faucet3.png>

So I went to instances, I saw two instances there, but it wouldn't let me
delete them.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2Fz-Ww2wS34/Wg9dIEfCiAI/AAAAAAABBCA/lr6u2v338Vg1Ar0SJdPJzVQoD6x-jiBcwCLcBGAs/s1600/faucet4.png>

I was going to disable the project, but the text on the settings page said
that charges would continue to be incurred.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-q1IpVYfReaY/Wg9duCh7lUI/AAAAAAABBCI/VcnAEsXgfmE1oulo1SHNHlNhXFUyWTEegCLcBGAs/s1600/faucet5.png>

How do I stop this thing???

So after the price went up again, I went back to the tutorial and found
cleanup.   Basically it said I have to delete the project.

Is this really the only way to stop billing?   Delete the project?
 There's no way to stop the container?   Or something else?   I didn't want
to do it because of this warning in the tutorial:

*Warning:* Deleting a project has the following consequences:

   - If you used an existing project, you'll also delete any other work
   you've done in the project.
   - You can't reuse the project ID of a deleted project. If you created a
   custom project ID that you plan to use in the future, you should delete
   the resources inside the project instead. This ensures that URLs that
   use the project ID, such as an appspot.com URL, remain available.

As you can see, I tried to delete resources to no avail.   It was so
frustrating.

I see on the charges page
(https://cloud.google.com/appengine/pricing#flexible-environment-instances)
that most of the charges are related to the vCPU.  How do I turn them off
when I'm not using them?

Can't google provide a better way of showing where the billing expenses are
coming from?   Is there a command line way to spit out a detail invoices?

Jordan's post
here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/google-appengine/flex$20charges|sort:date/google-appengine/uaiyicw6rhg/ole26VFlBwAJ

 seems to indicate that specifying autoscaling vs. manual: 1 will save
money, but this
document:
https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/flexible/nodejs/configuring-your-app-with-app-yaml

seems to indicate that the minimum # of instances is 1 no matter what:   So
how would this save money?   It seems so contradictory.

min_num_instances Must be 1 or greater, default is 2 to reduce latency.
When a service is deployed, it is given the minimum number of instances and
scales according to traffic.

I thought the tutorial for app engine would end up being free based upon
this:  https://cloud.google.com/free/  It says app-engine is free.

So why was I charged in the first place?

Thank you,

Brian

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/afb945ba-d7f1-4a36-af02-2e9f146dbfca%40googlegroups.com.