Re. NDB, there is an open source library very similar to it, Python 3
compatible:  https://github.com/Bogdanp/anom-py.  I can't say I've used it,
but I highly respect the author's other libraries.

It includes transparent caching, though with GAE flex or standard Python3
you have to run your own memcache service.
See https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python3/python-differences

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/c0373c50-ac3f-4273-b30f-0e22c7052318%40googlegroups.com.