Hello Remko,

Contention errors are usually observed when updating entities too rapidly,
or when high read or write rates to lexicographically close documents.
Since you recently changed the library to Cloud NDB, you may review this
migration guide [1] which outlines key differences. One of these
differences is that data caching is now done in a Redis in-memory datastore
managed by Memorystore instead of the legacy App Engine Memcache service.
You may therefore make sure appropriate changes have been made accordingly.

You may also look at the Datastore Best Practices [2] which discusses
contention directly. To make sure that your application follows the limit
of the new Firestore in Datastore mode limits, you may review those here
[3] to make sure that other potential services are interacting with
Datastore according to those limits. Firestore in Datastore mode is a
different architecture than the legacy Datastore so understanding those are
crucial for a smooth transition.

Finally, you may review the official documentation for the Cloud NDB
library [4] to make sure that entities, keys, and properties are properly
defined.

[1]
https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/python3/migrating-to-cloud-ndb
[2] https://cloud.google.com/datastore/docs/best-practices