You might want to look at how your programmers are using the Geocoding API.
If I remember correctly, the base cost of the Geocoding API is $5/1000
calls. If your application has very little usage, it has to be doing quite
a large number of calls per user to get $156/month of theoretical charges
per month. Also note that there is a monthly free tier of $200 of Maps API
calls.

If you have geographic coordinates, getting the distance between them along
actual road/paths is going to use a call to the DIstance API, which has a
similar cost, but you could use a third party library to get an
as-the-crow-flies distance for the distance between geographic coordinates
which might be adequate for your purposes.

Hope this is helpful,

Matt