Hello,

I had an App Engine service running on us-east1 for months. It was always
within the free tier, so I was never charged anything.

A couple of days ago, I shut down that project, created a new project, and
started an App Engine service on southamerica-east1. Just a testing app,
very little traffic, never went over the free tier limits.

Today I got a billing alert saying that I had reached my budget limit of $2
that I set a while ago, precisely for cases of unexpected charges. The
billing details show that I was being charged for App Engine frontend
instance hours on southamerica-east1 (São Paulo). I shut down the project
to prevent any further charges.

[image: screenshot.1.png]

(Note that I never ran both services concurrently.)

Why was I charged for the same thing in southamerica-east1 but not in
us-east1? I haven't found any mention of the App Engine free tier being
limited to certain regions, as it is for Compute Engine, for example.

Thanks!