OK, after more research, I think I know what happened.

When I first started this service, I deployed two versions with errors that
crashed the app as soon as it started. As I said, I was just testing
things. I deployed a properly working app within a few of minutes. However,
judging by the logs, it seems like App Engine continuously tried (and
failed due to the errors) to launch instances of the old versions, at a
rate of around once per second per version, for days. These old versions
had no traffic routed to them. I suppose that these
fractions-of-a-second-per-second that the instances were running,
eventually added up to several hours per day. The instances were up for
such short times that they don't appear in the chart, except for the
occasional spike.

I guess it's my fault for deploying apps with errors, but I think that
this definitely could be handled better by App Engine. One doesn't expect
non-functional, old versions to be kept running.

Diego