Alex,

We are doing just what you describe, although we do it under the naked
domain.

we have app.io pointing to appengine, which has a wildcard certificate
mapped.
My appengine settings for custom domain are like this:

custom domain name | cert | record type | data | alias
*.app.io  | wildcard-certificate |  cname |  ghs.googlehosted.com. |   *
app.io  | wildcard-certificate |  A |  xx.xx.xx.xx |  (none)

all requests for app.io go to the default version.  We also have a release
candidate version deployed, named 'rc'
Without any configuring all request for rc.app.io go automagically to the
rc version.

This only works when you have the wildcard certifcate in place.  Just
adding custom domain mappings for each version will not work.

Alexander