I am having this same problem and I'm not in a 'slow'' region. I have
relocated to us-west4 (Las Vegas) to avoid this issue but I'm still getting
a much slower response time from the custom domain:

Custom domain: 1.25 seconds
appspot: 200ms

I testing this from Sydney using Go1.15 on App Engine Standard.

Is it still possible I have made some error or are others seeing this
difference even in regions that are not know as slow?