all google code projects are required to be opensource projects.

Please look at your contract regarding the exact terms.

Basically the common thing with programming for a company on contract basis is:

if you paid him to develop this tool, it's your companies property and
he violates his contract by offering it as opens source to begin with,
if not prior agreed to this prior.

Just try to explain him the guidelines of google code and inform and
check your contract. If you only have a verbal contract, it get's more
complicated. But it should still hold it's weight in court, depending
how many witnesses and proof you have. (Bills for his work, email
exchanges, etc...)

g.

Lead Developer - Fiehnlab, UC Davis

gert wohlgemuth