First of all, don't get discouraged, ... most (if not all) of those top
people make their time and specifically practice and train for this kind of
competition.  They've seen quite a bit of problem patterns so something like
problem C is truly a piece of cake for them ... they probably won't think
that much doing it, it's just automatic.  Chances are they also went thru
what you feel right now years back.

So, practice definitely is up there for you to try ... it is a way to
familiarize yourself to types of problems.  There are lots of online
competitions like this and they have automatic judge/grader at your
service.  You'll probably feel overwhelmed and depressed during this journey
if you want to achieve this fast, ... but it's part of the roller coaster
ride.  Most of the time, you'll enjoy learning new tricks and each of them
will bring more motivation moving forward ...

Also, do look into the solutions of those top people, ... they are so
elegant it looks like magic.  Try to understand how they work and learn that
trick, then apply it into some of the problems sharing the same pattern
(others can help find those for sure).

Best,
-Lego

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 10:54 AM, Satyajit Malugu
<malugu.satya...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hmm.. What do you guys think, to be the way that we can improve?
>

> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 1:28 PM, David M. <b4r...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I feel the same you both. I program since I was 11 years old (now I am
>> 33), and I know that I am good.But when I compare myself with the people
>> that participate here...  ufff...  I am amazed with the level of all these
>> people...
>> By example, I 've been seeing the solution  to  problem C of the first
>> people in the scores and it is so elegant and simple... and only in 30
>> minutes!, when I need 3 hours and my code was really ugly (and didn't pass
>> the large dataset :( )  ...
>> It's amazing... :)
>>
>> 2009/9/4 Ken Corbin <ke...@peak.org>
>>

>>> I know how you feel.  I've been programming for living for 30 years.  I
>>> have a
>>> reputation for being the smartest and brightest programmer people have
>>> ever
>>> seen.  But in this group I'm going to be lucky to finish in the top

--
Fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge (Proverbs 1:7)