I'm not sure what the rules are, but software is usually far more important
than hardware when it comes to algorithm running times:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analysis_of_algorithms#Run-time_analysis

There are some cases where an efficient algorithm will run in a few seconds
on a standard laptop, but the brute force approach will take many
centuries.