This is a very strange idea,

It`s the same of athletics doesn`t traine to olympiads, or just don`t study
before exams.
Anybody who has chances of winning or getting a nice classification,
independent of how smart he/she is, have already practiced and trained a
lot, maybe not exclusively in GCJ but in lots of Programming Competitions.