I don't agree with the "don't practice either", as you stated there's no
need to try __any__ of the previous contests, and it sounds just bs to me.
Not all the coding challenges have the same data-oriented approach as GCJ,
and by practicing the previous challenges you'll be able to measure how hard
it gets and how can you get in shape for whatever comes next.

No one is trying to foresee what are the next questions, but the previous
would give you an idea of the GCJ trends. Dijkstra once said that:

"Programming is one of the most difficult branches of applied mathematics;
the poorer mathematicians had better remain pure mathematicians"

And as far as I know, if you're not a born genius, the more you practice and
learn from your mistakes, the better you get.

Christian Bernini