On Thursday, May 3, 2018 at 3:02:24 AM UTC+8, Xiongqi ZHANG wrote:
> The judging system is supposed to be working like a black box test.

During a contest, that's ok. For practice there is no reason for it to be a
black box.

> Keep in mind that you can always come up with your own test data. You just
> need a random test case generator and a naive but correct solution.

Yes but that's a lot of extra work, and counterexamples can be hard to find.

> If you have access to the data set that your implementation will fail, you
> are likely just fixing the symptom, not the root cause

I can't imagine why anybody would ever consider just fixing the symptom rather
than the root cause, just to get it to work on a given test case instead of
getting it to be actually correct. I would be tempted to say that such a person
has some kind of mental problem.
The whole point of testing with a data set is to find and fix bugs in the
implementation (or in the logic). Anything else will be useless for the next
contest.

> Also, there are plenty of online judging systems that don't reveal their data
> set (in practice mode too)

Argumentum ad populum

> Meanwhile, I agree that more complicated and non-trivial test case can be
> provided as the sample input/output in practice mode (not the full one used
> in a black box test though).

If those test cases catch most bugs in the solutions, then that would be a good
option. It's not so important to get the full real data sets. So we can agree
on that :)