Comment #18 on issue 597 by tae...@gmail.com: Persist Extension: UnitOfWork.begin() throws IllegalStateException when called multiple times
http://code.google.com/p/google-guice/issues/detail?id=597

So, that does not seem to be quite what I am seeing. My specific case is as follows:

  - Request comes in
  - FilterChain starts
    - PersistFilter starts a unit of work
      - continues FilterChain
      - ShiroFilter sees I need to login, redirects to login url
        - Filter Chains runs again
          - Persist filter throws exception starting a new unit of work.
- Finally of the first call to PersistFilter runs, calling UnitOfWork.end()

In my case, the problem is essentially that the PersistFilter is not reentrant. Simple fix is to make so that it is. At least, I believe that is my problem. Again, if I am doing something else wrong, I'm ears. (And, if I need to open another ticket for this, let me know.)