The main thing I like about Johan's approach is that it maintains full
backwards compatibility with the original class. There is no magic.
You are invoking the original constructors and everything works as
expected.

Using Sun's hidden API to construct objects without invoking their
constructors is part of the magic I'd like to do away with.

PS: Sun is beta-testing changes to ClassLoader in Java7 so now would
be a really good time to request enhancements in this space if you've
got any.

Gili