http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/javascript/maptypes.html#CustomMapTypes
<http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/javascript/maptypes.html#CustomMapTypes>Goes
into a very detailed explanation of the projection Google uses to display
their maps.

It is a Mercator projection, but you can find a very detailed explanation at
the link there and with further research you can see how exactly they go
about displaying the map, as well as the benefits and downfalls to using
Mercator projection.

But basically what it boils down to is that any map projection is taking the
earth, which is not flat, and trying to flatten it out to display it to  you
on a map.  Every projection has its benefits as well as downfalls.  Read up
on that and you can have a better understanding of the projection Google
uses.